Wednesday, 22 February 2012 04:44
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
Job required: Senior Supply Assistant
Title of the Position: Senior Supply Assistant
Post Level: GL-5
Position No: 10018547
Location: Benghazi, Libya
Duration: 1 year with possible extension
Closing date: 04 March 2012
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country. It also has a mandate to help stateless people. In more than six decades, the agency has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives. Today, a staff of some 7,190 people in more than 120 countries continues to help some 36.4 million persons.
Graduates in Business Administration, Logistics and Warehousing in particular are encouraged to apply for this position:
1. Duties and Responsibilities:
• Evaluates purchase requests and authorizations to ensure that specifications, budget data and other requirements are in order;
• Drafts and dispatches quotation and tender requests;
• Evaluates offers and prepares bid tabulations;
• Prepares Purchase Orders and sends confirmations, requests for inspection, and other correspondence;
• Prepares proposals for award of contracts to the Contracts Committee;
• Maintains the roster of UNHCR suppliers to ensure a timely service;
• Assists in the coordination of and reporting on the deployment of Non-Expendable Property;
• Prepares the monthly procurement status report to be sent to STS [acronym probably not clear for applicant] for information;
• Ensures that the Asset Track database is updated with newly arrived assets;
• Assists the office in maintaining internal control mechanisms to ensure that procurement standards and rules are strictly adhered to;
• Performs any other duties as and when required.
2. Qualification and Professional Experience Required
• Completion of Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Logistics, Warehousing or related field;
• Minimum of 5 years of previous relevant professional experience;
• Very good computer skills (MS office and PeopleSoft applications.
• Fluency in English and Arabic.
• Very good drafting skills.
3. Desirable qualifications & Competences
• Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to the functions of the position such as Supply Chain Learning Programme (SCLP);
• Knowledge and working experience of UNHCR MSRP (PeopleSoft);
• Experience in logistics and warehousing;
• Very good communication skills.